There are pre-conference assignments.
Note: For student participants, please remember to have your pre-conference assignments completed before the start of the conference. Please bring a hard copy of your paper and presentation on it with you!
WLTI Capitol Photo Congressional Visits
A highlight of WLTI is when students get the opportunity to visit with elected officials. It is the responsibility of each state association to make or coordinate visits and appointments for their delegation. You can download a sample appointment request letter here.
When arranging for congressional visits, email your letter of request directly to your official’s office, or fax or make a request by phone. Mail service has complex safety checks and is extremely slow.
Note: It is appropriate for each state/delegation to bring gifts (e.g. ball point pens, SkillsUSA pins, coffee mug) for each congressman/congresswoman and staff person visited.
WLTI Statesman Award
The coveted WLTI Statesman Award is presented each year to participants during WLTI who have demonstrated their leadership skills and have mastered certain requirements in leadership training.
You can download the requirements for the WLTI Statesman Award and begin preparing now.
What to Bring and Dress Code
Participants should bring SkillsUSA attire: Blazer, windbreaker or sweater, Black pants or skirts, Black socks/hosiery, Black professional shoes, Black ties (males only), white shirt. On the casual side, comfortable shoes, jeans, shorts, T-shirts; fun clothes, camera, spending money and sweater or jacket (September in Washington can be cool).
Dress for WLTI is as follows:
- Opening Session Dinner Saturday night – Official SkillsUSA attire
- Day of touring on Sunday – Casual (conference shirt)
- Day of training on Monday – business/casual (i.e. SkillsUSA logo polo and khakis)
- Congressional visits on Tuesday – Official SkillsUSA attire and comfortable black shoes
- Statesman Interviews and closing breakfast Wednesday – SkillsUSA attire, logo shirt or business attire: No jeans, flip flops or sweatsuits